Friday 13 July 2012

Brrr, it's cold in here! ...not.

When springtime rolled around a few months ago, we finally took the tarp off of our A/C to reveal this beast of a machine:


In case one picture isn't enough, here's a sweet view from the side of this beaut:


At that moment, we A) realized why the former owners had sold their house in the winter and B) knew that it might not even turn on when the time came that we needed AC.  So when it actually did turn on and work quite well (although I'm sure it wasn't very energy efficient and it sure as heck wasn't quiet) we were pleasantly surprised...

...and then it happened.  Last Sunday morning, Bobby and I woke up and realized our air conditioner had turned off in the middle of the night.  No big deal, we'll just get it repaired, right?  Not when your air conditioner is as old as some of your aunts and uncles.  So anyway, it's been about 30 degrees celsius all week and in turn, our thermostat has looked like this (keep in mind that it was 82 fahrenheit at 11 pm, so you can imagine how hot our house was during the day):



So we did what anyone would do in our situation.  We set up camp downstairs where it is quite a bit cooler (albeit still not as cool as I am used to).  I hardly slept at all this week because I am one of those sleepers that needs the room to be very cool, so even in the basement I was hardly able to sleep.  I apologize to anyone I saw or talked to this week for seeming a tad "zombie-like".  

Here's a shot of the set up downstairs.  Bobby was sweet enough to bring the mattress downstairs and set up the bed for us.


Even though it was much cooler downstairs, we still had a very hard time sleeping.  I know, boohoo, poor me. 

Anyway, we found a company to come and install a brand new system.  Luckily, Hydro offers a month by month plan for payments, so we don't have to pay a big lump sum of money right now.  We'll work it into the budget which we think will be much easier in the long run.  

So, here is the new guy.  Much sleeker and less 1950's airplane engine:






Now that we have a new air conditioner, I found a fun pinterest idea to make the area around the AC unit look even nicer:


One thing at a time though, I suppose.

Bobby and I came home tonight from a night out at the ballgame to our very cool house and it was such a relief.  It was an incredibly hot day and night and coming home to a comfortable house was a great feeling.  (Here is a pic of us at the ballgame.  I got my hair coloured today, yay for no more roots!)



Finally, I just want to quickly say that I know some people go their whole lives without having air conditioning, and that we are very lucky to be able to have central air in our house.  Now that we have gone a very hot week without it, we will forever be grateful for it and we won't take for granted that our house is a cool and comfy retreat for us.

That's all for now!

Lots of laughs and lots of love,

M.J.

No comments:

Post a Comment